Saturday, November 5, 2011

Portland Weekend

So, as usual, Portland proved to be a very memorable trip for my husband and I.  We left Friday the 28th and spent the afternoon in the Alberta District at Bolt Fabric Boutique.  Bolt had a wonderful sale going on - fabric, patterns, etc.  I love visiting this store every time I visit Portland. 

The evening was spent at Modern Domestic, also in the Alberta District, at the "Sew-cial" from 6 - 9.  It was pure heaven!  I was able to make good progress on a top for myself by using a fabulous Bernina sewing machine.  But.....that was not the highlight - I actually met Shelly Figueroa who is the author of Sewing for Boys.  She was recently featured with her two handsome boys on a morning show in Portland.  Shelly designed some really cool clothing for boys.  Check this book out; I'm sure you'll want to own a copy. I have to say, I was just in awe during my conversations with her that night.  She is like your favorite friend; down-to-earth, fun, kind.  I certainly didn't want to leave the sewing studio that evening, but my husband had tired of going from coffee shop to coffee shop trying to find one that stayed open late.

It was a really fun weekend except for one problem........my car developed a cracked exhaust manifold Friday evening after the "Sew-cial."  Saturday was mostly spent at the Toyota service department to diagnose the problem and find that there were no manifolds in stock.  On the way home Sunday we had to drive at 55 mph and stop at each rest area to let the car cool down.  Thankfully the car was drivable!

All in all, it was a great weekend.  When it comes to sewing adventures, you never know where you'll land :-)

Shelly and I at Modern Domestic




Outside Modern Domestic



No comments:

Post a Comment