Friday, September 9, 2011

Needlecrafts for Charity!!!

It has been a busy month!  I've been preparing to resume the Needlecrafts for Charity club at the University of Puget Sound.  I returned to my administrative assistant position on August 16th, finished summer quarter at the Evergreen State College on August 26th, and started advertising for the needlecrafts club on September 2 at LogJam on the UPS campus. Whew!

We had an exciting event at LogJam.  The club president, Kim; the club treasurer, Kirah; and I manned a table to solicit for new members.  Thanks Kim and Kirah :)  A whopping 75 students signed up!  Now I know that not all of the sign ups will attend, but even if 20 do, it will be a great group.  Students were interested in sewing and knitting, so I had to change my plans a bit for the syllabus.  There will be two groups working simultaneously; one group will sew and assemble sanitary pad hygiene kits for women in developing countries, the other group will knit kids' chemo caps for our local military hospital. I'm very excited to be leading this group!

Now for gathering supplies.  If there is any way you'd like to help, please post a comment and I will respond with how you can help.  We desperately need scissors, pins, and snaps for sewing; and knitting needles, scissors, and rulers for knitting.   

This will be a very fun fall :)   In the picture below: Lori, Kim, and Kirah

            

1 comment:

  1. Lori,
    I am transitioning to mostly crochet so I have extra knitting needles, mostly Clover circular. I would be happy to mail them to you. You can contact me at sbpb@hotmail.com

    Oh, and if you are sewing sanitary pads for Days for Girls, snaps aren't necessary as they can put them on at headquarters if you prefer. Do you have a snap press or do you need sew-on metal snaps?

    Regards,
    Sarah F. in CA

    ReplyDelete